Saturday, March 15, 2008

My Guardian Angel

I'm a guy who believes that everyone has a Guardian Angel. Sometimes these angels pop into your life when you least expect them but need them most. Mine did, but the irony is that she has been there the whole time. My guardian angel is my cousin Colleen.

Colleen is about four years younger than me and growing up we basically treated eachother like cousins who were four years apart. We saw eachother at Nana and Pop-Pop's house, did the birthday party thing and that was pretty much it. She got to high school the year I left for college so we never really interacted with eachother outside the usual family stuff. That all changed a few months ago.

I dont know what it was that changed things but it has been a blessing for me, and I'd like to think for her too. We started talking online more, just about every night. We exchanged texts and phone calls and went out for a few rounds of beer. But most importantly she has been getting me through a rough time over the last few months. I had recently had my heart broken and continue to almost every day. But every day Colleen is there for a joke, or just to listen. And I can't fully express how much that means to me.

Colleen has said two things that have really stuck with me. The first was when she told me that I wasn't the guy she thought I was. I don't really know how to take that because basically she said "I always thought you were an asshole but you really turned out to be a nice guy." But I'll take the compliment that I know it was meant to be. She really didnt know who I was. I was always the older cousin who was pretty much a jackass.

The other thing she said that hit me hard was when she told me that she always looked at me as a protective big brother more so than just a cousin. I was blown away by this. For a while I didnt even think she liked me, I had no idea she thought of me this way. Now, armed with this knowledge I'll do everything in my power to live up to the billing as the protective big brother. And hopefully I can repay what she has given me over the last few months as my guardian angel.

No comments: