Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Tattoo

I can't carry on my grandparents' name, but I can carry their name on me. This is the meaning behind my tattoo.

I got a tattoo on Saturday. I had wanted one for a number of years and I finally sucked it up and got it. My family had little to no faith that I would actually go through with it so I dont know what that says about my reputation but I got it and I love it.

It is a Celtic Shamrock accented in green and an Old English "B" in black. The shamrock is easily understandable because I've wanted one for a long time. The "B" is for my maternal grandparents, Bernie and Peg Brotzman. As I stated, I can't carry on their name but I wanted to carry them with me.

There is another meaning behind the tattoo. "B" could very well also stand for Brother because I got the tattoo with my two brothers. Some of you might be sitting there thinking "I didnt even know he had brothers." While the ones who know me best are saying "I know he doesnt have brothers." But then you would all be wrong. My parents might have only had me and two girls but it doesnt mean I dont have brothers. Chris and Jon Kindred are my brothers, always have been and always will be. We share the Brotzman grandparents which officially makes us cousins, but the bond that we have shared since we were younger makes us even more.

We have been through a lot together, both good and bad. When a close death in November had us all thinking about mortality and family, it became apparent that we needed to do something to stengthen that bond. We had been talking about tattoos for a while and the events of last Fall cemented our desire.

Chris got his on his left leg, Jon on his right. I got mine on my shoulder. Unique spots, but with the same message of brotherhood.

Neither one of us will carry on the Brotzman name, but we will always carry it in our hearts, and on our bodies.

No comments: